Larnaca City Center
The charming coastal region of Larnaca is a place where past and present blend into a delightful mosaic of sun and culture. It is a destination that amazes every visitor with its diversity, its special atmosphere and the hospitality of its people.
Larnaca is considered to be Cyprus’s oldest town, with a history of 10.000 years. From its traditional architecture, authentic taverns and local handicrafts to its cultural sites, museums and religious monuments, old Larnaca is an evocative glimpse into a Cyprus past.
New and modern Larnaca harmoniously intertwines with the elements of ancient Kition and offers the cosmopolitan visitor beautiful sandy and safe beaches, a bustling promenade lined with cafes and restaurants, brand-name shopping, advanced infrastructure and every conceivable amenity.
Top 10 Larnaca City Landmarks:
- Agios Lazaros (Saint Lazarus) Byzantine Church: One of the most important surviving Byzantine Monuments in the whole of Cyprus, built around 900 AD.
- Palm Trees Promenade: One of the most pleasant entertainment seafront areas in the whole of Cyprus.
- Larnaca Salt Lake: A magnificent nature place. The total surface area of the Larnaka Salt Lake is 2.2 Km² and it is considered one of the most important wetlands in Cyprus with an array of plants, birds and wildlife.
- Larnaca Medieval Castle and Museum: Founded by the Byzantines in the 12th century. Hosts a Medieval Museum and a Garden Theatre.
- Hala Sultan Tekke: Dated around the 18th century, it is built over a tomb which according to tradition belongs to Umm Haram, foster-mother of the Prophet Mohammed.
- Kamares–The Old Aqueduct: The grandiose arches are part of the old Larnaca Aqueduct, constructed in 1745.
- Ancient Kition: Dated from the 13th until the 4th century B.C. Goddesses Aphrodite and Astarte were worshipped here.
- Europe Square: Located at the beginning of Athens Avenue. It consists of the first colonial buildings built by the British Administration in 1881.
- Mckenzie beach: Have an unforgettable day and night out at Mckenzie beachstrip which is now considered to be the hotspot of the island!
- Zenobia Wreck: Considered to be the world’s best wreck diving site.