The trail ”Loumata ton eronon” is distinguished for the high hiking difficulty due to ground changes of the island. Located in the mountain region of Limassol, 1100 meters above sea level, amongst a green oasis of pine trees and is a linear path 2,5 kilometres long. The trail passes by the camping site Almirolivado, passes a hillside, heads in company to the riverside, within abundant vegetation and finally ends at the Amiantos park. Along the route you will find the restored hideout of the military organisation EOKA and the river Loumata ton Aeton. If a hiker chooses to continue to the northwest region of the hiking trail you will enter the woods and walk along the hills of the abandoned asbestos mine. The location after transforms, to deserted steep mountains dominating the imposing site. The visitors must be careful as the need to trek upwards steep locations, however it is worth it.
Points of interest
Traverses a scenic hillside. Runs along the banks of the stream ´Loumata ton aeton, through lush vegetation ending at Amiantos Park. Goes past an old restored E.O.K.A* hideout and ´Loumata ton aeton´stream. The trail can become circular by following roads towards S.E.K. Trade Union summer camping site. *Ethniki Organosi Kyprion Agoniston (E.O.K.A), National Organisation of Cypriot Fighters, fought an anticolonial, liberation war during period 1955-59.
Tips & Resources
2. Do not smoke and keep your food inside your backpacks. Protect the environmental treasure from unexpected fires.
3. Do not make unnecessary noise. Respect the natural world of the birds, the animals and enjoy the natural sounds.
4. Maintain the space clean. Leave your trash in the bins or choose to take them with you.
5. Spend the night in the visitors’ camp sites.
6. The entrance to vehicles within the path is not allowed.
7. Protect the natural beauty by avoiding cutting branches, bushes or unrooting plants and carving trees.
8. The lighting of fires in protected areas is strictly prohibited. Respect what is offered from nature and the camping site. Lighting fires is allowed ONLY in special barbecue sites.
Inform immediately the Forestry Department on +357 22805511 or 1407 (Emergency contact, 24 hour a day) if you see smoke or fire.
The responsible environmental consciousness can improve our planet. Remember nature is accommodates us. It opens its heart into her world. Respect her home, her residents, the flora, and fauna.